UPDATE: Value-Added Avocado Supplies
July 15, 2016
Ready-Set-Serve (RSS) Avocado items are limited; packer label is being substituted as needed. Due to the current market conditions for commodity avocados (attached), raw product supplies for processing are very limited. Processors are struggling to acquire raw product that meets specifications for certain RSS avocado items. Availability will be limited for the next two weeks until raw product supplies increase.
- Growers in Mexico have transitioned to new crop fruit for the summer months which are high in water content and low in oil content
- Once ripened, raw product supplies are ending up too soft to pack certain items
- Items such as RSS Chunks and RSS Halves require a higher oil content to hold up during processing
- When fruit is high in water content it becomes too soft to process and package
- Supplies are expected to improve in two weeks when oil content improves and the proper levels of ripeness can be attained
- Markon recommends flexibility on labels and pack sizes during this time to ensure order coverage
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.