5-star food safety
You take food safety seriously. At Markon, we share this passionate dedication to providing safe fruits and vegetables and we work diligently to meet your high standards. Markon has created measurable metrics to ensure your fresh produce is both delicious and as safe as possible.
Every case of Markon First Crop®, Ready-Set-Serve®, and Markon Essentials® you purchase has met or surpassed Markon’s unparalleled standards for food safety—our 5-Star Food Safety® Program. It’s that simple.
5-Star Food Safety is based on specifications, inspections, and information at five key points: fields, facilities, transportation, distributor warehouses, and your kitchen.
5-Star Food Safety Program Key Points
- Third-party audit reviews for Good Agricultural Practices
- Detailed specifications
- Daily inspections
- Water testing
- Third-party audit reviews for Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (Ready-Set-Serve only)
- Regular inspections
- GMP observational visits and product quality standards verification
- Water testing
- Environmental monitoring program
- Temperature monitors on trucks originating in Arizona, California, Idaho, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas (South Texas), and Washington
- Dedicated quality assurance
- Warehouse temperature zones
- Third-party inspections
- Trace back to field level
- Regular mock recalls conducted to verify traceability
- “Best If Used By” dates on all Ready-Set-Serve inner and outer packaging
- Storage and handling information
- Cooler icons on packaging easily identify appropriate cooler storage area (back, center, front, outside)
- Food safety educational tools available through your Markon member sales representative