December 19, 2014
Prices are lower on both coasts. Holiday demand is subsiding, while Mexican supplies (into Nogales, Arizona and South Texas) are increasing. Expect lower prices for all tomato varieties by next week.
Mature Green Tomatoes
- While Central Florida remains the main source, the Mexican season has started; stocks are increasing daily
- Florida temperatures have been cooler than normal, resulting in limited production, but weak demand is preventing shortages
- As Mexican supplies increase, demand will shift away from Florida
- Prices for Mexican fruit are lower; as stocks get more plentiful, the Florida market will also ease
Roma and Vine Ripe Tomatoes
- Production is increasing in the main winter growing region of Western Mexico (into Nogales and South Texas)
- Growers will finish harvesting the remaining Baja crops over the next two to three weeks
- Supplies of cherry, grape, Roma, and vine ripe tomatoes will continue to increase in January
- Expect lower overall prices; quality is excellent
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2014 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.