With Easter on the horizon, the asparagus market is expected to climb rapidly; domestic and Mexican supplies will remain tight. Broccoli and cauliflower stocks are diminishing quickly as the Arizona/California desert growing season winds down; both markets are rising quickly. Despite weekend rain in the Coachella and Oxnard, California growing regions, strawberry supplies remain adequate; the market is steady.
• Domestic supplies are available, but limited; Mexican volume is low
• Despite tight stocks in the Mexican growing region, prices have remained relatively steady
• Markon First Crop (MFC) Asparagus is available in Yuma, Arizona; domestic MFC Asparagus will be available out of Salinas the week of April 13
• Expect the market to increase over the next 7 to 10 days
Broccoli and Cauliflower
• Supplies from Yuma, California’s Imperial Valley, and Northern Mexico are diminishing rapidly as the season winds down; growers in Salinas, California are harvesting both crops, but supplies are limited
• The cauliflower market is rising quickly; broccoli prices are increasing as well
• MFC Broccoli Crowns are sporadic; Markon Best Available (MBA) will be substituted as necessary
• Markon Essentials Cauliflower is sporadic; packer label will be substituted
• Expect tight stocks and high prices through March
• Supplies out of the Oxnard and Coachella growing regions are adequate
• The market is steady
• MFC Strawberries are available out of Coachella; MBA is being shipped from Oxnard
• Warmer temperatures are forecast for next week; expect more plentiful supplies and improved quality
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.