Rain is falling today, March 11, in Southern California’s strawberry growing regions; harvesting crews were able to pack weekend orders before the storms began. Total rainfall will be less than last weekend, 0.40”-0.75” compared to 1.40”-2.00”. Supplies in Oxnard, California are not expected to be significantly impacted by the passing storm. Stocks are ample in Florida, but temperatures are on the rise; quality will be a concern as the season winds down in late March. Mexican growers have finished harvesting for the season.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Strawberries are not available; Markon Best Available and packer label supplies in one-pound clamshells are being substituted due to rain
- Oxnard and Santa Maria are forecast to receive approximately 0.40” and 0.75” of rain today
- Overall quality ranges from fairly good to good, but rain-related quality issues are a concern
- Rain/water damage
- Wind scarring
- Growers packed ahead to cover orders loading through the weekend; harvesting is expected to resume Monday, March 14
- Quality is forecast to rebound by Thursday, March 17
- Supplies will remain adequate despite the rain, but prices will inch up next week due to strong Easter demand
- MFC Strawberries are not available; packer label supplies in one and two-pound clamshells are being substituted
- Supplies are plentiful
- Overall quality ranges from fairly good to good
- Sustained high temperatures will begin to decrease size and soften texture
- Approximately 0.25”-0.40” of rain is forecast for Sunday, March 13
- Quality will decrease over the next several weeks as the season winds down
- Prices are inching up for Easter demand
- Ample supplies will be on the market through Easter (March 27); the season will end for some suppliers the week of March 28
Mexico (into South Texas)
- MFC Strawberries are not available
- The season has ended for most independent suppliers
- Driscoll’s strawberry and mixed berry seasons will continue through April
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.