Prices are much lower this week. Volume has doubled compared to two weeks ago due to favorable weather in all growing areas; overall demand is down. Florida has the highest volume (55%), followed by Mexico (30%), and then California (15%). Prices are expected to continue easing, barring adverse weather.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Strawberries are not available; Markon Best Available (MBA) and packer label supplies are being substituted
- Last night Oxnard and Santa Maria, California received approximately 0.32” and 0.35” of rain respectively
- Harvesting crews are culling fields of rain-damaged fruit
- Most growers packed orders ahead yesterday
- Bruising, softness, water damage, and white shoulders will be concerns over the next few days
- Quality is expected to recover quickly as favorable weather is in the forecast next week; counts average 14-22 berries per 1-pound clamshell
- Next week’s prices are expected to continue to inch down
- El Nino weather patterns are expected to return in March, which could limit supplies and push up markets leading up to Easter (Sunday, March 27)
Mexico (into South Texas)
- MBA Strawberries are not available after this week; packer label 8/1-pound strawberries will be substituted starting Monday February 22
- Prices are much lower this week and will continue to ease next week; volume is up and demand is down
- Warm weather and lack of rain has increased yields, but reduced size; counts average 22-28 berries per 1-pound clamshell
- High temperatures are expected to deteriorate quality through the end of the season (typically late February/early March)
- Markon recommends moving orders to California the week of February 22 for best quality
- Volume is up dramatically; supplies are ample
- Prices are much lower this week (comparable to Mexico)
- Size has increased; counts averaging 14-20 berries per 1-pound clamshell
- Quality is fair to good: bruising, decay, odd shape, and light color are problems
- The season is expected to peak in late February/early March and continue through Easter (Sunday, March 27)
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.