Fresh-run Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions from Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, and Washington are readily available. Demand is strong in all growing areas, but Markon anticipates steady pricing for reds, yellows, and whites. Harvesting for the storage crop has begun and will progress up over the next several weeks.
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions will be available through March 2017
- Hail storms moved through some of Colorado’s growing regions in mid-July, effecting yields
- The yellow onion crop is dominated by medium, followed by jumbo sizes
- Jumbo red onions are plentiful
- Growers will start shipping storage crop supplies at the end of September
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions will be on the market through late April/early May 2017
- Weather has been ideal during harvests
- The yellow crop is dominated by jumbo onions
- Red onions are also on the larger side, predominately jumbos
- Oregon and Idaho onions possess a solid, globe-like shape, firm texture, and moderately spicy flavor
- Storage stocks will be shipped in late September/early October
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions will be shipped through late March 2017
- Weather has been excellent during harvests
- Mirroring Idaho/Oregon, Utah’s red and yellow onions are on the larger side, mainly jumbo sizes
- Storage crop shipments will begin in late September
- MFC Red and Yellow Onion shipments will run through late April 2017
- Both red and yellow onions are on the larger side, dominated by jumbo stocks
- Weather has been ideal during the early stages of harvesting, resulting in the larger size profile; Washington has experienced higher-than-normal temperatures, which could diminish size by the end of the season
- Washington onions possess a solid, globe-like shape, firm texture, and moderately spicy flavor; skins are less feathery than supplies from California and New Mexico
- Storage onions will begin shipping in early October
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.