Markon First Crop (MFC) Idaho Burbank Potatoes will be on the market through early August. New crop packer label Norkotah shipments will begin in early to mid-August; Markon does not foresee any supply gaps. Expect prices to gradually ease over the next six weeks as the industry transitions from storage to new crop stocks due to ample supply levels. Prices for large-size cartons (40- to 60-count supplies) are expected to ease due to weak demand, while the market for smaller sizes (80- to 100-count stocks) is expected to remain stable. No. 2 potatoes are plentiful and will hold at their respective low price levels for the duration of the season. New crop MFC Norkotah Potatoes will become available in late August/early September.
- Recent warm weather will shorten shelf-life; maintaining the cold chain is critical
- High storage or transit temperatures can create cracks, lenticels, and rot
- Pressure and/or shoulder bruising (soft, external indents) are the results of pressure at points of contact with adjacent potatoes, while potatoes sit in storage sheds
2015 New Crop
- Limited quantities of packer label new crop Norkotah supplies will become available in early August
- New crop MFC Norkotah Potatoes will enter the market in late August/early September; potatoes must go through the sweat process prior to shipping
- New crop packer label Burbank potatoes will be shipped in late September/early October
- MFC Burbank Potatoes will become available in early November; potatoes must go through the sweat process prior to shipping
- Idaho’s new crop size profile will be shared once growers have a better understanding of the overall crop (in a few weeks)
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.