Please click here to view a Markon Live From the Fields video about the process of harvesting Idaho Norkotah and Burbank potatoes.
New crop Norkotah and Burbank potatoes are currently being harvested in Idaho. Fresh-run, Markon First Crop (MFC) Norkotah Potatoes are on the market. Limited quantities of fresh-run packer label Burbanks are available. Burbank supplies will steadily increase over the next few weeks as more growers begin production. Prices will remain low through the harvest and/or until growers close storage cellar doors in late October.
2016-2017 New Crop Norkotahs and Burbanks
- Fresh-run MFC Norkotah Potatoes are available
- Limited quantities of fresh-run, packer label Burbanks are available; the bulk of new crop Burbanks will be placed in storage for the upcoming season
- Fresh-run Burbank potatoes will exhibit skinning, moisture throughout cartons, and can develop cooler mold due to excess humidity
- If ordering fresh-run Burbanks, Markon recommends ordering for quick turns
- The Burbank stocks that are placed in storage will undergo the sweat process to shed excess moisture after being harvested
- The sweat process lasts approximately three to four weeks or until the outer skin is cured sufficiently
- After the sweat process is complete, skins will have a smooth, net-like appearance
- MFC Burbank Potatoes will be available for shipment the first week of November
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.