UPDATE: Iceberg Lettuce Market
May 27, 2016
The iceberg lettuce market will climb next week. Abnormally cool spring temperatures are resulting in slower growth, lower carton weights, and smaller yields; processor and carton demand is strong. Salinas Valley temperatures have been 5-10 degrees cooler than average for this time of the year, however, higher temperatures in the low to mid-70s are forecast for the next 10-14 days.
- Markon First Crop Premium Iceberg is sporadic due to inconsistent weights; Markon Best Available will be substituted as needed
- Carton weights for liner lettuce ranges from the high 30s to low 40s
- Overall quality is very good, but harvesting crews will sort for wind damage and occasional mildew
- Some small size and puffy heads are being caused by cooler temperatures
- Despite warmer weather in the forecast, prices will remain elevated next week
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.