UPDATE: Iceberg Lettuce Market
June 12, 2015
The iceberg lettuce market continues to rise. Demand is strong for both whole-head cartons and processed items; supplies are tightening.
- Markon First Crop Premium Iceberg is sporadic due to inconsistent weights; Markon Best Available will be substituted as needed
- 24-count carton weights are in the low to upper 40-pound range
- Current quality is very good, but insect damage, small head size, and sun scalding are minor issues
- Expect high prices into next week
- Abnormally warm temperatures will increase growth, but also cause quality problems in product harvested early next week (arriving to member distribution centers late next week and early the following week)
- Internal burn, mildew pressure, and shortened shelf-life are potential issues
- Ready-Set-Serve Iceberg items could exhibit premature breakdown from internal burn as early as next week
- Temperatures are expected to remain in the mid-70s to mid-80s through next week
- Markon inspectors will continue monitoring commodity and value-added packs for any heat-related defects and designate lots of the highest quality
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.