UPDATE: Ice in the Desert Growing Region
January 25, 2017
More lettuce ice is being reported in most Arizona/California growing areas this morning. These conditions are forecast to continue through Friday, January 27. Harvest crews anticipate delays up to two hours.
- Green leaf and romaine prices remain low; stocks are ample
- Because recent weather conditions have been overcast, wet, and windy, mildew pressure remains prevalent
- Cold mornings and lettuce ice will be concerns this week
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Green Leaf and Romaine are sporadic; Markon Best Available (MBA) is being substituted as necessary due to mildew damage
- Supplies remain readily available; markets are soft
- Heads are large with firm texture
- Mildew pressure remains a problem, but most damaged leaves can be removed; expect lighter color and inconsistent case weights as a result
- MFC Premium Iceberg is sporadic; MBA is being substituted due to low weights
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2017 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.