Green onion stocks will become limited over the next five to seven days. Prices will rise over the next several weeks due to a supply dip forecast for late August. Temperatures in the Mexicali, Mexico growing region are predicted to reach 110-plus over the weekend and into early next week. Such extreme heat can stunt onion growth.
- Hot weather over the past several weeks has pushed production ahead of schedule, creating a harvesting/supply gap
- More recent extreme heat has slowed onion growth
- Expect smaller, more lightweight onions on the market at this time; overall yields are below normal
- Small sizes are most abundant; medium and large sizes are limited
- Expect tight supplies and elevated markets over the next three weeks
- Markon will monitor trigger levels for Ready-Set-Serve Green Onions and update next week
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.