Markon First Crop (MFC) Melons will be available from California’s Imperial desert region next week. Early season supplies will be limited while production ramps up over the next two weeks. Large sizes (9-count cantaloupe and 5-count honeydew) will dominate the crops through May. Excellent quality is expected: color will be vibrant and sugar content will be high. Westside melons (grown on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley stretching from Bakersfield to Turlock, California) will be harvested by the first week of July.
Mexican supplies (into Nogales, Arizona) will remain on the market through late May. Quality is excellent. The offshore season will wind down by mid-May while simultaneously, the US domestic crop will increase to meet national demand. Prices will ease as industry stocks become more plentiful over the next two weeks.
- MFC Cantaloupe Melons will be on the market May 2
- 9- to 15-count sizes will be available as the season starts
- Quality is excellent: sugar levels range from 10 to 15 Brix
- Domestic crops may command higher prices than imported supplies
- MFC Honeydew Melons will enter the market the week of May 5
- 5-count and larger sizes will be available as the season starts
- Expect large sizes to dominate stocks through May
- Quality is excellent: sugar levels range from 10 to 11 Brix
- Wind scarring is a sporadic issue
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.