UPDATE: Broccoli and Cauliflower
May 12, 2016
Although steady broccoli prices and sufficient supply levels are forecast for the next several weeks, stocks are expected to tighten the week of May 23. The market will climb from that time until production increases in early June. Cauliflower stocks are extremely limited; prices are escalating. Expect high cauliflower prices for several weeks.
- Markon First Crop Broccoli Crowns are sporadic; Markon Best Available will be substituted as necessary due to branchy stems
- Growers anticipate tight supplies over the next several weeks
- Recent warm weather has pushed growth ahead of schedule and bunched fields together
- Now that temperatures have eased, growers anticipate potential tighter supplies in the coming weeks
- Volume should return to steady levels in early June; expect high prices the last two weeks of May
- Quality is very good, but inspectors have reported minor issues such as discoloration and long branches
- Open-market prices are approaching Ready-Set-Serve trigger levels that should be met by Wednesday, May 18
- Limited supplies are forecast for the next two weeks
- Cloudy conditions and cool weather are slowing growth
- Quality is very good, but large-size heads (9-count supplies) will be extremely limited
- Markon Essentials Cauliflower is available
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.