UPDATE: Broccoli and Cauliflower
May 15, 2015
The broccoli market is rising sharply, but high prices will be short lived. The cauliflower market remains steady at elevated levels. Broccoli and cauliflower are being harvested one to two weeks ahead of scheduled production. Warm winter and spring temperatures increased growth faster than normal, while recent cool temperatures have slowed growth in new fields; this has caused a cauliflower supply gap and a significant drop in broccoli supplies.
- Crown quality is good, but branching, purple bead, and yellow cast have been recent issues
- Showers in Salinas and Santa Maria this week, followed by warm temperatures could promote growth over the next 7 to 10 days
- Markon First Crop Broccoli Crowns are available
- Elevated prices will persist through the middle of next week
- Growers are harvesting fields earlier, reducing size and overall yields
- Strong processor and shipper-to-shipper demand is putting an additional strain on supplies
- Multiple weeks of limited stocks have helped close the supply gap; better availability is expected in 7 to 10 days
- Markon Essentials Cauliflower is not available
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.