Broccoli prices are slightly higher this week. Another sharp increase is expected next week due to extremely tight supplies. Warmer weather has pushed suppliers ahead of the harvesting schedule. As inconsistent weather persists, growth has slowed and stocks are expected to remain limited until new fields are ready for production in early June. Expect high prices until stocks increase.
- Markon First Crop Broccoli Crowns are sporadic; Markon Best Available will be substituted as necessary due to branchy stems
- Supplies will be limited in Salinas and Santa Maria, California until suppliers transition to summer fields after June 1
- The cloudy skies and cool temperatures that are forecast through the end of May will slow growth
- Expect low yields in Mexico (loading in South Texas) due to quality problems caused by high temperatures
- Although supplies are tight, they are expected to meet regular demand
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.