The asparagus market is skyrocketing; supplies are extremely tight in Mexico and Peru. Limited quantities of Markon First Crop Asparagus are expected to become available by the end of this week; volume will increase by late January. Very warm weather in Peru and freezing temperatures and rain in Mexico are tightening supplies and causing prices to escalate. The market is reaching the mid-$50.00 range in both areas (loading on the West Coast).
- Freezing temperatures and rain have delayed harvesting and slowed growth in the main growing regions of Caborca and Mexicali
- Production has been very slow, but will increase over the next several weeks
- The market will remain firm next week, but will ease by late January when Mexican volume increases
- Jumbo and extra-large sizes are extremely scarce; large, standard, and small sizes are more readily available
- Growers will start shipping 28/1-pound packs by late January
- Abnormally warm weather due to El Nino has limited stocks
- Production and yields are down due to the heat
- Feathering and dehydration are lowering yields
- Peruvian supplies will not become more abundant until June, but volume will rise a bit by early February
Please contact your Markon customer support representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.