Asparagus prices are rising. California supplies remain tight; demand is strong. Cold mornings in Salinas, California have slowed growth and reduced total yields. Plantings in the San Joaquin Valley have dropped significantly due to low returns in years past; many growers have chosen to plant other commodities with higher returns. Markon First Crop Asparagus is not available at this time.
- The Mexican season has ended, shifting demand to domestic supplies
- A significant drop in California acreage due to high land, labor, and water costs is reducing industry volume in the Salinas and San Joaquin Valley growing regions
- Cold mornings are slowing growth in Salinas; this week’s warm weather should increase supplies
- Quality is very good in both growing regions
- Because stocks are limited, 28-pound packs are extremely tight; growers are shipping more 11-pound cartons
- Supplies will remain scarce; high prices will persist through Mother’s Day
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.