Watermelon demand is currently exceeding available supplies out of Northern Mexico. Weather has been factor.
- Cold weather in the main growing region of Sonora, Mexico is slowing plant growth and hindering production
- Supplies are extremely limited; growers are struggling to fill full truckloads
- Fall weather is causing shorter days and cooler temperatures are leading to lower-quality melons
- Recent rains in the region caused vine disease, further lowering yields
- Expect lower sugar content, lighter colored melons
- Elevated markets and tight supplies will persist through November (until offshore melons enter the market this winter)
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.