Tomato markets continue to rise. Rain along the East Coast and Mexico has reduced overall supply, shifting demand towards California. Markon First Crop Tomatoes are available.
- Alabama, Tennessee, and the Northeast region have seen significant rain this week, hampering the harvest of round and Roma tomatoes
- Previous heatwaves and rain this season have reduced quality and yields
- Virginia is seeing excellent grape tomato quality
- Water restrictions led California growers to plant fewer Roma and mature green tomatoes this year
- Demand has increased for California fruit
- Lower priced Roma tomatoes are an attractive option
- Overall quality is good
- Mexican Roma, cherry, and grape tomatoes are very limited; farmers are assessing and recovering from monsoon rains and flooding this past weekend
- Trucks dealing with delays and closed roads have posed transportation challenges
- Quality is good, especially on grape varieties
- Supplies will increase in mid-September when early fall production starts
- Expect prices to continue rising over the next two weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.