High temperatures have tightened supplies in many East Coast areas. Demand for California tomatoes is strong; prices are up substantially. Markon First Crop Tomatoes are available.
- East Coast round and Roma stocks will remain limited until the first week of September
- High temperatures and rain have caused low yields in the Tennessee and Alabama growing regions
- Michigan round tomato production started late; however, grape tomatoes are up and running with excellent supply and quality
- Heat waves affected many local regional deals this summer season, shifting demand to the West Coast
- Limited California Roma and mature green tomato acreage planted this year has kept volume low
- The drought created water restrictions for growers and reduced the ability for California growers to handle gaps from other growing regions
- Mature green tomatoes have average quality; Roma quality is better
- Mexican Roma, cherry, and grape tomatoes are tight this week as the monsoon season is starting
- Quality is average
- Expect supplies to increase in September
- Expect prices continue rising over the next two weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.