Green bell pepper markets have eased as demand begins to shift to new growing regions in California and Florida. Markon First Crop (MFC) and Markon Essentials (ESS) Green and Red Bell Peppers are available.
- Mexican supplies are tighter as growers harvest from their last spring fields over the next month
- Medium and small sizes are dominant
- Quality ranges from average to good depending on the lot
- Florida production is expected to slow down slightly with rain in this weekend’s forecast
- California’s Imperial Valley supply is increasing; extra-large/jumbo sizes are prevalent
- Expect markets to continue the downward trend over the next two weeks
- The spring season is winding down in Western Mexico
- Quality is hit or miss
- Some color and mechanical issues are being observed during the grading process
- The Canadian greenhouse season is well underway with extra-large and large sizes being the most abundant
- Florida produces a minimal amount of colored peppers
- Expect markets to decrease slightly
Supplies are increasing. Demand is strong due to the Mother’s Day holiday. Expect steady markets for the next seven to ten days.
Oxnard and Santa Maria
- MFC Strawberries are available
- Mother’s Day pull kicks off this week on April 24 and runs through May 7
- Volume is anticipated to increase this week as favorable growing weather is forecast
- Quality is good: some green shoulders have been reported
- Expect steady markets and adequate supplies for the next seven to ten days
- Volume is increasing week over week
- The season will start in mid-May
- Early season quality is good: deep red color and large size are being reported
MFC Idaho Burbank Potatoes are available. Storage crop MFC Norkotah Potatoes are expected to be depleted May 16.
- Overall supplies have tightened as the remaining Norkotah crop begins to wind down
- Expect prices to strengthen through the end of the storage season
- 40- and 50-count stocks are adequate
- 60- through 80-count supplies are limited
- 90– through 120-count potatoes are readily available
- Quality is good: pressure and shoulder bruising, along with hollow heart, will be seen sporadically in remaining storage supplies (both Norkotahs and Burbanks)
- Pressure and shoulder bruising (soft, external indents) results from constant contact with adjacent potatoes, or the floor, while raw product sits in storage piles
- Hollow heart (small, irregularly shaped internal craters) develops internally during the season when potatoes grow faster than normal due to adverse weather
- 2022/2023 new crop potato planting started in April and will be finished in a couple of weeks
- New crop Norkotah harvesting is expected to begin in early August
MFC and ESS Limes are available.
- Supplies are increasing; availability is much improved compared to last week
- Prices for 175-count and smaller sizes are falling; 110- and 150-count prices remain firm at very high levels
- Small sizes (230- and 250-count) are abundant
- Medium sizes (175- and 200-count) are ample
- Large sizes (110- and 150-count) remain tight
- Overall quality is good: stylar is occasionally present in some lots
- Expect prices to continue coming off through May
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.