Santa Maria and Oxnard, California have received upwards of 2” over the past 48 hours. Another storm is forecast for mid- to late next week. Strong markets are expected in all growing areas over the next two to three weeks.
Santa Maria, California
- Limited (if any) harvesting is expected for the next two days; many growers have shut down for the season
- Quality in remaining fruit will be challenged; concerns include excessive bruising and pin rot
- Growers will be transferring Mexican-grown fruit to supplement their California orders through January
- Suppliers are assessing rain damage this afternoon
- Limited if any harvest expected (12/15-12/16) Wednesday & Thursday this week
- Do not expect an increase in production until early January, depending on weather
- Growers will be transferring Mexican-grown fruit to supplement their California shipments through January
Central Mexico (Loading in South Texas)
- Production is ramping up
- Demand is very strong
- Quality is good: size ranges from 22- to 24-count berries
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Strawberries are forecast to start shipping the week of December 20
- Supplies are slowly ramping up and will continue to increase through December
- MFC Strawberries should begin shipping the week of December 20
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2021 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.