RSS Orange Juice sugar levels have been lowered for orders produced out of the Arizona facility starting August 12, 2022.
- The minimum sugar level for not-from-concentrate (NFC) orange juice produced out of the Arizona facility has been lowered from 11.8 to 11.2 Brix
- Extended periods of excessive heat have caused re-regreening in this year’s Valencia crop
- Re-greening occurs during the ripening process as warm temperatures cause the rind to re-absorb chlorophyll
- The extended warm temperatures cause lower brix levels in Valencia also know as the summertime orange
- According to the USDA Citrus Crop Estimates, overall orange supplies are down 1.8 million boxes
- This recipe change (brix content) will be in effect until quality and supply conditions are re-evaluated in January 2023
- Sugar levels for NFC orange juice produced at the Florida facility remain unchanged at a minimum of 11 Brix
- Non-RSS retail orange juice requirements range from 10.5 to 10.9 Brix
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.