Idaho and Washington storage potato supplies continue tighten. Prices are rising.
- The market continues to climb
- All sizes will remain limited until new crop starts shipping in early August
- Several Idaho and Washington suppliers will experience 7- to 14-day supply gaps in early August, pushing demand toward those with remaining stocks
- Markon First Crop suppliers will implement six-week average allocations
- Order lead time of at least five business days is recommended for the remainder of the storage crop season
- Quality is fair in remaining storage stocks; hollow heart, along with pressure and shoulder bruising will be seen
- Pressure and shoulder bruising (soft, external indents) result from constant contact with adjacent potatoes, or the floor, while raw product sits in storage piles
- Hollow heart (small, irregularly shaped internal craters) develops internally during the season when potatoes grow faster than normal due to adverse weather
- New crop Norkotah harvesting is expected to begin in early Augus
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.