New crop, fresh-run MFC Norkotah Potatoes are available. It is important to be aware of certain characteristics once new crop supplies start shipping.
- Fresh-run quality is excellent; occasional skinning and excess moisture may be observed in fresh-run potatoes
- Potatoes release moisture as they cool, which gives the potato a wet look, and can cause a light, white surface residue to develop that is easily brushed off
- The white residue will dissipate as potatoes dry and does not pose any quality or food safety concern
- New crop potatoes have not gone through the ‘sweat’ process yet
- The ‘sweat’ process allows field heat to leave the potatoes (which causes the release of moisture), putting them in dormancy, which prevents sprouting from occurring during the early months of storage
- U.S. No. 2 production will be extremely limited
- Fresh run Norkotah quality is strong; No. 2 supplies will increase once potatoes are shipped out of storage
- Pricing will remain firm until that time
- New crop Burbank harvesting is expected in early October
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.