Idaho, Oregon and Washington storage potato supplies continue tighten. Demand is outpacing available stocks. Prices are climbing. Potato sheds will be closed Independence Day.
- Idaho, Oregon, and Washington potato sheds will be closed Monday, July 4 in observance of the holiday
- Tuesday, July 5 will be an extremely slow loading day as suppliers will also not produce over the weekend; the four-day work week will tighten further volume
- Several Northwest suppliers are expected to experience a 7- to 14-day supply gap in early August, creating an even larger shortage of available supplies
- Markon First Crop suppliers have implemented a six-week average for shipping that will persist through mid-August
- Quality remains fair in storage stocks: hollow heart, along with pressure and shoulder bruising will be seen
- Pressure and shoulder bruising (soft, external indents) result from constant contact with adjacent potatoes, or the floor, while raw product sits in storage piles
- Hollow heart (small, irregularly shaped internal craters) develops internally during the season when potatoes grow faster than normal due to adverse weather
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.