New crop, fresh-run Markon First Crop (MFC) Norkotah Potatoes are available in Idaho and Washington. Expect the market to continue easing throughout the next few weeks.
- Idaho: early pack-outs are dominated by 60- to 100-count sizes
- Washington: early season volume is dominated by 50- to 70-count potatoes
- Texas: early supplies are not meeting size specifications
- Colorado and Wisconsin production will begin in mid-September
- Fresh-run quality is excellent; occasional skinning and excess moisture on the skin of the potato are normal for this time of year
- Potatoes will release moisture, as they cool, resulting in a light white surface residue that can easily be brushed off; the white residue dissipates as potatoes dry and does not pose any quality problems
- New crop potatoes have not gone through the ‘sweat’ process yet; the ‘sweat’ process allows field heat to leave potatoes, putting them in dormancy and preventing sprouting during early months of storage
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.