The Markon First Crop (MFC) Idaho Burbank Potato season is in its last few weeks. New crop, fresh-run MFC Norkotah Potatoes will hit the market next week.
- MFC Burbank Potatoes are beginning to wind down; supplies will remain available through the end of next week
- 40- through 50-count supplies are limited; size substitutions may be necessary for full order coverage
- 90– through 120-count potatoes are readily available
- Quality continues to meet specifications in remaining stocks; air checks and pressure/shoulder bruising will be seen sporadically
- Air checks are tiny thumbnail-like cracks caused by stress due to abrupt temperature changes
- Pressure and shoulder bruising (soft/external indents) result from constant contact with adjacent potatoes, or the floor, while raw product sits in storage piles
- Norkotah harvesting will begin in Southern and Western Idaho at the end of the of this week; shipping will start Monday, August 14
- Harvests in the eastern parts of Idaho will begin next week
- New crop Burbanks will enter the market in early October
- New crop potatoes will be sent to storage sheds as well as straight to packing facilities to fill for orders (fresh-run)
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.