Potato supply challenges persist in the Northwest. Expect highly elevated markets and tight supplies for the next several weeks.
- New crop harvesting is expected to be completed in late October
- Large-size Idaho Norkotah supplies (40-through 60-count potatoes) remain tight; small-size potatoes (90-through 100-count supplies) are ample
- Large-size order fulfillment will improve, but remain sporadic
- Norkotah quality remains good; skinning and excess moisture may be observed in fresh-run potatoes
- New crop potatoes have not gone through the sweat process yet
- Potatoes may release moisture as they cool, causing very light, white surface residue that can be easily be brushed off
- The white residue will dissipate as potatoes dry and does not pose any quality problems
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Norkotahs will begin to ship out of storage in mid-October
- New crop Burbank harvesting will begin in late September; packer label cartons will be available to ship
- MFC Burbank Potatoes will be available once the sweat process is completed (approximately late October/early November)
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.