Abundant supplies of California Bartlett pears are available. New crop Washington pears will hit the market next week.
- Bartlett pears will ship well into October
- Sizing favors 90- through 110-count; 120-count and smaller stocks are adequate
- Growers pack and sell by the count as opposed to the volume-fill method used in Washington
- California suppliers ship 40-pound packs (36-pounds net); Washington growers use 48-pound cartons (44-pounds net)
- Due to this pack difference, California ships approximately 6 to 10 fewer pieces of fruit per unit compared to Washington
- The attached photos show Washington and California pear packs
2023-2024 Washington New Crop
- The Bartlett season will get underway next week
- Excellent quality is expected
- Size will be dominated by 90- to 110-count pears in early pack-outs; sufficient supplies of 120- count and smaller fruit will be available
- D’Anjou production is expected to get started the week of September 11
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.