California’s Valencia season is winding down earlier than anticipated; expect remaining supplies to be depleted by mid- to late October.
- Markon First Crop and Markon Essentials Valencia Oranges are sporadic; packer label oranges are being substituted as necessary
- Valencia supplies will be extremely tight until Navels begin shipping in late October
- Quality concerns include soft fruit, skin breakdown, and re-greening
- Soft fruit can result in pressure compression/misshapen fruit and stem-end aging spots
- Offshore oranges from Chile, Morocco, South Africa, and Uruguay are available on the East Coast; Chilean supplies are available on the West Coast
- Imported stocks are dominated by 88-count and larger sizes, as well as fancy grade fruit
- Delivered costs for offshore Navels will be roughly $5.00 to $8.00 higher per case than domestic Valencias
- Expect that price spread between domestic and offshore fruit to become smaller as domestic supplies dwindle and markets rise
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.