Higher-than-normal temperatures are causing San Joaquin Valley Valencia oranges to soften and re-green.
- Markon First Crop and Markon Essentials Valencia Oranges are available
- Valencia quality concerns include re-greening and softness due to above-normal temperatures
- Extreme heat is causing Valencia supplies to re-absorb chlorophyll, resulting in a green tint on rinds
- Fruit is still very ripe, sweet, and juicy
- Packinghouses are exposing fruit to naturally occurring ethylene gas 48 to 56 hours longer than usual to brighten color
- Soft fruit can result in pressure compression/misshapen fruit and stem-end aging spots
- The crop is dominated by large sizes (48-, 56-, and 72-count fruit) this season; as a result, small sizes (88-, 113-, 138-, and 163-count oranges) will remain snug through the 2022 season
- Overall Valencia volume is lower than normal
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.