This summer’s historic heatwave in the Northwest has affected onion size in the early stages of the 2021-2022 harvest.
- From late June through mid-July, the states of Idaho, Oregon, and Washington experienced record high temperatures
- Growers report that the heat hindered growth, resulting in smaller size; onions were in the latter stages of the growth process during the heatwave
- Crop size is smaller than normal, with most in the medium and jumbo categories
- Colossal onions are tight
- Super colossal sizes are extremely limited
- Expect small sizes to dominate availability over the next several weeks; size should start increasing in mid-September when onions have more time in the ground
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2021 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.