New crop Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions are readily available in the Northwest. The California season is ending. Expect markets to ease over the next few weeks as the Northwest season builds; production will be fully underway next week.
- California onions are the last of the summer crops remaining
- Most California growers have finished shipping for the season; a small number of sheds will continue to pack through next week
- MFC Onion harvesting continues to ramp up in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington
- Colorado-grown onions are now on the market
- The Utah season will get underway after Labor Day weekend
- Early pack-out size is dominated by medium and jumbo sizes; adequate stocks of colossal and super colossal are available
- New crop onions will have a rounder, more globe-like shape than supplies shipped during the spring and summer months; early season supplies will still exhibit thin, light-colored skins until shipped out of storage
- While growers send new crop onions to production for packing, they will also begin to fill storage facilities; onions will begin to ship out of storage in early October
- Healthy onion crops and strong yields are expected this upcoming storage season; weather has been excellent for growing up to this point
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.