Current onion supplies are dominated by medium sizes; however, growers report size is increasing this week.
- Demand has weakened;
- Markets are steady
- A significant price gap of $7.00 to $9.00 remains between medium and jumbo sizes
- The harvest is 90%-95% complete, with most growers wrapping up this week
- Once production has ended, growers will gain control of supply levels and regulate onions released for production; expect elevated markets to hold through the end of October
- Holiday/retail demand will start in early November, increasing demand for medium onions
- When retail demand strengthens, more raw product will be released from storage sheds, increasing large-size onion volume in packing facilities, and easing prices
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2021 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.