New crop Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions are readily available in the Northwest. The seasons are ending in California and New Mexico.
- The New Mexico season will conclude this weekend
- In California, most growers have finished shipping for the season; a small number of sheds will continue to pack through the end of August
- MFC Onion harvesting is ramping up in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington
- Colorado- and Utah-grown onions will hit the market after the Labor Day weekend
- Early pack-out size is dominated by medium and jumbo sizes; adequate stocks of colossal and super colossal are available
- New crop onions will have a rounder, more globe-like shape than supplies shipped during the spring and summer months; early season supplies will still exhibit thin, light-colored skins until shipped out of storage
- While growers send new crop onions to production for packing, they will also begin to fill storage facilities; supplies will begin to ship out of storage in early October
- Healthy onion crops and strong yields are expected this upcoming storage season; weather has been excellent for growing up to this point
Expect markets to ease over the next few weeks as the Northwest season builds; production will be fully underway next week.
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.