Northwest Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions will hit the market at the end of this week. MFC California and New Mexico Onion seasons are beginning to wind down.
- MFC Onion growers in Idaho and Washington will begin yellow onion production Thursday and Friday of this week
- Red onions will start in a limited manner next week; overall production will ramp up the week of August 14
- Colorado and Utah-grown onions will hit the market after the Labor Day weekend
- Healthy onion crops and strong yields are expected this upcoming storage season; weather has been excellent for growing up to this point
- Supplies will be shipped through mid-August; a limited number of sheds will continue to ship until the end of August
- Onion quality is sufficient despite a recent heat wave
- Markets have eased with the start of the northwest season approaching
- Most growers will end their seasons by the end of next week with a few sheds trickling into the week of August 21
- New Mexico has also experienced hot weather; quality is adequate in remaining stocks
- Pricing has decreased as a result of the Northwest season starting up this week
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2023 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.