Markon First Crop (MFC) Onion harvesting continues to progress in Idaho, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.
- Markets have eased as overall demand is weaker than recent weeks; fall harvesting is in full swing
- Yellow onion size remains dominated by medium sizes, with an adequate jumbo supply;
- Colossal and super colossal onions remain limited
- There is a significant price gap of $7.00 to $8.00 between medium and jumbo yellow packs; medium onions can make a viable substitution for No. 2 jumbo yellows
- Red onion pack-outs are mainly mediums, but sufficient jumbos are available
- Sizing is increasing as growers are now packing later-planted onions
- Growers will begin to pack and ship onions out of storage in early October
- Quality is excellent as summer heat has subsided; growing regions are now seeing dry, warm days and cool nights
- New crop onions will have a rounder, more globe-like shape than supplies shipped during the spring and summer months; early season supplies will still exhibit thin, light-colored skins until shipped out of storage
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.