Onion demand is strong as the Idaho/Oregon season has yet to hit full stride. Expect prices to remain elevated over the next few weeks.
- The Idaho/Oregon season is in its second full week of production
- Volume is dominated by medium and jumbo sizes
- Colossal and super colossal onions are limited
- Washington harvests continue to ramp up; sizing is still on the smaller side, dominated by medium and jumbo onions
- Utah-grown onions will hit the market next week; Washington stocks continue to be hauled in for consolidation and loading in the interim
- There is a price gap of $4.00 to $5.00 between yellow medium and yellow jumbo onions; medium-size yellow onions may make a viable substitution for No. 2 jumbo yellows
- Please be aware, onions sheds will not produce orders over the weekend or on Labor Day, Monday, September 5
- Production will be slow on Tuesday, September 6 as sheds will start the week with minimal inventory, affecting the supply pipeline
- Loading delays will occur Tuesday, September 6 and Wednesday, September 7
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.