The new crop onion season is beginning to form. California and New Mexico onions near the end of their respective seasons. Expect steady markets through next week.
- Washington stocks are on the market; size is small in early yields, with limited availability of colossal and super colossal
- Rain last week halted early scheduled Idaho/Oregon harvests; supply has been limited with improvements to come next week
- Size will be on the smaller end to start; volume favoring medium and jumbo onions
- In Utah, Washington onions are being shipped in for consolidation and loading; Utah-grown onions will hit the market in early September
- Colorado production will begin next week
- Yellow onion sizing is small in remaining lots; limited colossal and super colossal are available
- Red onion supplies are sufficient; prices continue to decrease
- White onion volume is tight with elevated markets
- The New Mexico season will run through this weekend, with limited availability the week of August 22
- Several growers have depleted supply; others will have onions through the first part of next week
- Yellow onion pricing has eased with demand shifting to the Northwest
- Red onion demand is weak; markets continue to diminish
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.