The California and New Mexico summer seasons continue to wind down. Limited supplies of new crop onions are on the market in the Northwest.
- Size has begun to decline in remaining yellow onion supplies, with fewer colossals and super colossals available; onions pack-outs are heaviest to medium and jumbo sizes
- Red onion supplies are ample; prices continue to inch down
- White onion volume is low; expect markets to increase
- The New Mexico season will run through the end of next week, with limited availability the week of August 22
- Several growers have depleted supply; others will have onions through next week
- Stocks are currently sufficient to meet demand for the rest of the season
- Yellow onion pricing has eased, as demand has shifted to the Northwest
- Red onion demand is weak; markets continue to inch down
- Washington stocks are on the market; size is small in early yields, favoring medium and jumbo onions
- In the Idaho/Oregon region, shipping began the week of August 8 with low volume
- Most suppliers will start the week of August 15
- Size will also be on the smaller end to start, with limited colossal and super colossals
- Colorado production is forecast to begin the week of August 22
- Washington onions will be hauled to Utah to kick that season off; Utah-grown onions will hit the market in early September
- Expect elevated prices through August
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.