The California and New Mexico summer seasons continue to wind down. Limited supplies of new crop onions have hit the market in the Northwest.
- Scattered showers and thunderstorms continue to slow production which may affect loading times
- Despite rainfall, sufficient stocks of red and yellow onions are available
- Yellow onion markets are steady, while red onion prices have inched down due to weak demand
- White onion volume is low; expect prices to increase
- The New Mexico season will run through the week of August 15
- Several growers have depleted supply; others will have onions through mid-August
- Stocks are currently sufficient to meet demand for the rest of the season
- Yellow onion pricing is firm due to strong demand
- Red onion demand is weak; markets have eased
- Limited numbers of Washington onions are on the market
- In the Idaho/Oregon region, shipping will begin the week of August 8 with low volume; most suppliers will start the week of August 15
- Colorado production is forecast to begin the week of August 22
- Utah onions will hit the market in late August
- Expect elevated prices through August
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.