The Markon First Crop (MFC) Onion season is in full swing.
- Expect markets to ease as supply increases in California and New Mexico
- Daytime temperatures vary from 80 to over 100 degrees (°F) in both regions
- Transit and storage temperatures should currently be in the 60 to 70 degree range (°F), with sufficient airflow to insure best quality
- Both the California and New Mexico seasons will run through mid-August
2022-2023 Storage Season Outlook
- Planting for the Northwest season started in April and is now complete
- The Northwest saw unseasonably cold weather in April which caused some early concern
- Growers have welcomed some much-needed moisture and warmer weather the past few weeks
- Suppliers will now wait to see what heat units look like over the summer months
- Last summer’s record heat wave caused a very small size profile and crop shortage
- Northwest onion harvesting will begin in early August; onions will start to ship out of storage in October
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.