Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions continue to increase in New Mexico. The Imperial Valley, California season has ended. California MFC Onions are now being shipped out of the San Joaquin Valley.
- Expect markets to remain steady through next week, then ease once the San Joaquin Valley, California and New Mexico seasons ramp up
- Fresh-run onions have dry, thin skins and light-colored exteriors; size is currently small, favoring medium and jumbo sizes, with few super colossals
- Daytime temperatures vary from 80 to over 100 degrees (°F) in California and New Mexico
- Transit and storage temperatures should currently be in the 60 to 70 degree range (°F), with sufficient airflow to insure best quality
- Both the California and New Mexico seasons will run through mid-August
- Northwest onion harvesting will begin in early August
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.