Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions from New Mexico have hit the market; supply will begin to ramp up next week. MFC California onions will be shipped out of the Imperial Valley through this weekend, then transition up to the San Joaquin Valley on Monday, June 6.
- Expect markets to remain steady through next week, then ease once the California-San Joaquin Valley and New Mexico seasons ramp up
- New crop, fresh-run onions will have dry, thin skins and light color exterior
- Daytime temperatures in California and New Mexico are ranging from 80 to over 100 degrees (°F)
- Growers will harvest onions during evening or early morning hours
- Finished product is packed and shipped from shaded facilities, with high powered fans generating airflow and ventilation to insure onions are dried and cured properly
- Transit and storage temps should be in the 60 to 70 degrees (°F), with sufficient airflow, to insure best quality
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.