Limited supplies of new crop Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions from New Mexico will enter the market next week. The Texas-grown MFC onion season ends this week. MFC California Onions supplies remain sufficient.
- California onions will be shipped out of the Imperial Valley through Saturday, June 4, then will transition up to the San Joaquin Valley Monday, June 6
- Red and Yellow MFC Onions will be available in New Mexico on Monday, May 23, with limited stocks to start; supply will begin to ramp up the week of May 30
- Texas-grown MFC Onions will ship through this Saturday, May 21
- Expect markets to remain steady over the next three to four weeks, then ease once the California-San Joaquin Valley and New Mexico seasons ramp up
- New crop, fresh-run onions will have dry, thin skins and light color exterior
- Daytime temps in summer growing regions can range from 80 to over 100 degrees (°F)
- Growers typically harvest onions during evening or early morning hours
- Finished product is packed and shipped from shaded facilities, with high powered fans generating airflow and ventilation to insure onions are dried and cured properly
- Transit and storage temps should be in the 60 to 70 degrees (°F), with sufficient airflow, to insure best quality
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.