The Northwest storage onion season continues to wind down. New crop onions are now being shipped out of the California Imperial Valley. Texas-grown supplies are also on the market.
- The Idaho/Oregon season for Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions will conclude this week
- MFC Washington Onions will ship through the end of April
- Markets are steady, but will fall by the end of the week as shippers attempt to clear out remaining inventory
- Expect internal defects such as translucency, as well as dry and watery scale, on arrival
- Texas-grown MFC Red and Yellow Onions are readily available
- The Texas onion season will run through mid-May
- Prices are steady
- Fresh-run onions will have feathery skins and light color/exterior compared to Northwest storage onions
- Yellows onions have hit the market; red and white onions will begin to ship next week
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions will begin become available on Monday, April 25
- The market is expected to open just under Texas price levels
- The New Mexico season is on track to open in early June
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.