The Northwest storage onion season continues to wind down. Sufficient supplies of Texas-grown onions are available.
- Idaho/Oregon-grown Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions will be depleted by April 15
- MFC Washington Onions will ship through the end of April
- Markets have eased as demand has shifted to new crop onions
- Please note that quality has deteriorated in remaining supplies; internal defects such as translucency, as well as dry and watery scale, are common
- Texas-grown MFC Red and Yellow Onions are readily available
- The Mexican onion season will wrap up by early next week
- Texas onion pricing will increase with the Mexico season wrapping up; the end of the Idaho/Oregon season will also boost Texas onion demand
- Fresh-run onions will have feathery skins and light color/exterior compared to Northwest storage onions
- Imperial Valley onions will hit the market the week of April 25
- The New Mexico season is scheduled to open in early June
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2022 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.